Meetings
Members

Click here to watch a short video of
The Early Years - Gananoque Lions Club

 


This is one of the oldest images of The Gananoque Lions Club
Some of our Founding Fathers at a Joint Meeting in Lafargville, New York in 1945

77 YEARS OF COMMUNITY SERVICE

“Lionism is an active and efficient vehicle for united civic effort and enterprise and is a helpmate to every community endeavor."

The Gananoque Lions Club's Charter was May 2nd, 1939 with 25 members and was sponsored by the Kingston Lions Club. These gentlemen couldn't have foreseen the impact that their newly formed Lions Club would have over the future of Gananoque. Throughout 76 years of operation the Lions Club has enjoyed and appreciated the wholehearted support of the Gananoque Community.  Over the years our club members have fluctuated, ranging from 30 to a high of 70 in 1956.  Today our club has 50 active members.

SOCIAL COMMITMENT

In 1939 there was a lack of medical, dental and eye care support from the governments and that is where a lot of our support was extended. Sight conservation and support for the blind was a Lion priority and still is. The recycling of eyeglasses is an ongoing project and over our 76 year history we have collected and sent thousands of eyeglasses to developing nations. Today, support for the blind includes the provision of guide dogs through annual donations to Leader Dog and Canine Vision Canada.

BEYOND OUR COMMUNITY

The Gananoque Lions Club has reached beyond this community, and in addition to having several members hold district offices of zone chairman, deputy district governor, and governor, we have been successful in sponsoring three thriving Lions Clubs in neighboring communities. The Smiths Falls Lions Club began in 1940, the Westport Lions Club was started in 1946 and the 1000 Islands Lions Club was chartered in 1974. 



 

Gananoque Lions Club Past Presidents -

 

 

 

Lions Clubs International News
Connect with Us Online
Twitter