Welcome to the website of the
Goring, Woodcote & District Lions Club
On this website we plan to be able to keep you informed as to our future programmes and what we have recently done. If you see or hear anything that you think may be helpful to us, please contact us via "Contact Us" page.
Thanks to all the runners and helpers that made our 29th 10k Charity Run a success. RESULTS are available on the 10k Run page as is a link to the Run Photographs.
LIONS ISSUE A CHALLENGE TO OUR COMMUNITY
Our Lions Club has been "Serving the Communities" of the villages in our area for OVER 30 years, from Goring to Sonning Common & from Whitchurch to Woodcote. As some of our members get older, they naturally get less active. We would like to interest you in becoming members of the club, but understand that not all want to or indeed can commit to regular events. Membership of a Lions Club is not onorous, we always say that members can do what they can to help when they can. If you would be interested in finding out more about us, please contact us on email@example.com
To understand a little more of what we do please spend a few minutes watching the video of The Lions Story.
Even if you are not interested in becoming a Lion, WE ARE IN NEED OF VOLUNTEERS to help run some of our events, from the Santa Carol Float, our annual 10k Run and a number of other events. Could you spare 2 hours one evening in December helping us with our Santa Float? Would you be able to help marshall our 10k Run in January, it only takes about 3 hours out of your morning.
We are always looking to help people in our community so if you, someone you know or a community group need assistance, please let us know. Our help can be financial or by using our peoplepower. Whilst we do assist with financial support, our preference is to supply an item for someone or a group. In the recent past our club help has supported a wide range of projects such as
- Supply 3 kissing gates for Chiltern Way footpaths in & near Woodcote
- Supply & plant Jubilee trees in Goring, Woodcote & Whitchurch Hill
- Chrismas Hamper to someone in need
- A new washing machine (& plumbed in) and furniture for a family
- Support for the Air Ambulance Berks|Oxon|Bucks
- Support for Macmillan Nurses
- Support for the RBH Prostate Cancer "Robbie the Robot" appeal
- A specialist bed & chair for two local Hospices
- Two weather proof benches for residents of Mowforth Close in Woodcote
- Sonning Common pre School
- 4 Tents for Sonning Common Cub Group
- Sponsorship for local girl to work with children overseas
- We continue to collect unwanted spectacles for recycling
- Additionally we support approved overseas aid projects, usually Lions International ones such as Water Aid, Eye Health Programme and the Lions Clubs International Foundation (see right >).
- Financial support for the FOOTSTEPS FOUNDATION
We also have a presence on
and would welcome your participation and comments.
Our Lion Year runs from July 2011 to June 2012
Lions Clubs International is the world's largest service club organization with more than 1.3 million members in approximately 45,000 clubs in more than 200 countries and geographical areas around the world.