WHO ARE THE NEW WESTMINSTER LIONS?
October 1946 marked the "birth" of the New Westminster Lions Club. Charter President Roy C. Bell and the 24 Lions charter members initiated the fundraising that over the next 65 years raised in excess of 2 million dollars. These funds have gone to support many causes and organizations servicing the City of New Westminster such as:
- First renal dialysis for Royal Columbian Hospital
- Grand Piano for Massey Theatre
- Large Picnic Shelter/Kitchen in Queens Park
- First public service vehicle and several police dogs for the New Wesminster Police Department
- Bursaries for graduating students at New Westminster Secondary School
- Hyack's Home Game Meal Program, to name a few.
Lions Clubs International is the world's largest service club organization with more than 1.3 million members in approximately 45,000 clubs in more than 200 countries and geographical areas around the world.