The Rocklin Lions Club was chartered in 1955 and immediately chartered and sponsored Troop 29 of the Boy Scouts of America. The only charter member left in the Rocklin Lions Club is Lion Roy Ruhkala.  The Ruhkala Family was and is a very prominent family in Rocklin.  Roy Ruhkala was the first Scoutmaster of Troop 29 in 1952.  Lin Ken Weger was also a Scoutmaster of the troop. There have been several other Lions who became scoutmaster also.  The last to do so, was Lion Stu Hardy.  He was devoted to scouting and was the Scoutmaster of Troop 29 for many, many years.  That is why the Stu Hardy Trail is so named.

Ever since Helen Keller asked the Lions to become "Knights for the Blind" the focal point for every Lions club has been sight conservation.  There are many ways to approach sight conservation.  We chose to have White Cane Days as fundraisers for sight activities such as paying for eye exams and glasses for the needy.  We also collect eye glasses for the Folsom Project.  In the last four years the Rocklin Lions have collected over 110,000 pairs of glasses.  So far this term, since July 1, 2009 we have collected 4,870 pairs of glasses.

Lions Clubs International News
Connect with Us Online