Meetings

History of the Seymour Lions Club

The Seymour Lions Club, sponsored by the West Hartford Lions, was chartered August 27, 1952. During their more than half century of service, the members have been sensitive to the needs of others. Christmas gifts have been given to patients at a local convalescent hospital and the club has sponsored Christmas parties at two senior housing complexes.

A long-standing project has been one of making phone calls on Halloween night to school children. If the child is at home at the time of the call, a silver dollar is awarded by the club. This project was featured in the Lions Clubs International magazine indicating that this was considered as an outstanding Lions project.

During the past thirty years, the Seymour Lions have been collecting used eyeglasses totaling in excess of 5,000 pairs.

The club also provides funding for examinations and glasses for school children whose parents are unable to meet this need. 

Each year the Seymour Lions award two scholarships for graduates of Seymour High School. 

The Seymour Lions Club recently received first prize in the town's annual Christmas parade. 

Fundraisers are numerous including antique car shows. 

The Seymour Lions Club is proud that one of their members, Rose Marie Spatafore served as District Governor during the Lions year 2007-2008 and was the first woman to hold that position in the District. She previously served as both CST and VDG and was the recipient of two International President's Certificates of Appreciation.  

an excerpt from A Brief History of Lionism in Connecticut 2007 - see the website

 

Lions Clubs International News
Connect with Us Online
Twitter