|Lion Al Konieczka attended the annual St. John the Evangelist (SJE) 8th Grade Awards Banquet on May 26th and presented two students with the 2015 St. John Lions Young Leaders in Service Silver Award. The award is given each year to recognize the young people in our community who also place a high value on community service. Each year since 1987 the St. John Lions have presented this award to at least one deserving SJE student who demonstrates the Lions spirit and passion for community service. This year's winners were Amy Curtis and Hannah Rodimel. Congratulations ladies! (Pictured above from left to right are Amy Curtis, Lion Al Konieczka & Hannah Rodimel)|
WHO ARE THE ST. JOHN LIONS
We have proudly served the St. John community for more than 50 years!
Our members are very different in many ways, but we share a core belief - our community is what we make it. That's because we help where help is needed. In short, We Serve!
Here are some of the things our club has done recently:
- Assisted local residents with eyeglasses and eye exams
- Presented dictionaries to all 3rd grade students at Kolling Elementary School
- Planted 100 trees (along with Cub Scout Pack 550) in parks throughout St. John
- Donated $MONEY to aid tornado victims in southern Indiana
- Donated $MONEY to the St. John Police Department
- Present Citizenship & Community Service Awards to local 8th grade students
- Held Candy days to raise funds for local projects
- Collected, counted and sorted nearly 2,000 pair of used eyeglasses annually
- Held a Candlelight Bowl fundraiser to raise funds to put back in the community
- Purchased hearing aids through the Lions AHAP for a local high school girl
- Purchased "Beep Ball" and charger for visually impaired youth baseball players
If you (or your friends or family members) would like to become involved in an upcoming project, or join our Lions Club, you can contact us in one of these three ways:
- Call us at (219) 365-1091
- Email one of our Club Officers and request more information
- Attend one of our monthly membership meetings to learn more about our group
Lions Clubs International is the world's largest service club organization with more than 1.3 million members in approximately 45,000 clubs in more than 200 countries and geographical areas around the world.