History of the Windsor Locks Lions Club
The Windsor Locks Lions Club was organized on June 6, 1942. Community Service has been highlighted with scholarships, educational and sports awards along with the sponsorship of a Cub Scout and Boy Scout Troop. The Club has awarded camperships as well as serving as sponsors of Little League and softball league teams. Holiday food baskets have been distributed and the club has been involved in World Service Day activities, environmental programs, as well as providing for eye examinations and glasses for those unable to meet this need. The club has also sponsored eye screenings and these have been most successful.
In 1987, the Windsor Locks Lions Club held its first “Journey for Sight” along the Windsor Locks Canal. Two years later, this project was shared with District 23-B and continues today as an annual District event. The walk which takes place along the banks of the Connecticut River has raised as much as $30,000 in one day for sight related programs and projects.
As they have since 1944, the Windsor Locks Lions proudly own and operate the town’s only ambulance service. The Lions Ambulance Corps continues to meet every challenge, including coverage for Bradley International Airport. The Corps, now a paid service, continues to set the standard of excellence for emergency care, with paramedics, EMT’s and full time staff to meet the needs of Windsor Locks residents.
Many of the members have been involved in District and Multiple District activities. The club has produced six District Governors, namely Richard O’Leary, 1968, Clifford Randall, 1980, Scott Storms, 1989, Ronald Storms, 1995, Normand Messier, 2000, and Carolyn Messier, 2004. Lion Scott Storms also served as International Director during 2001-2003 period.
This Lions Club proudly supports LCIF, the Lions Low Vision Center, CLERF, Fidelco, CRIS, and The American School for the Deaf, and contributes to hurricane and tornado disaster relief as well. The club also plans to strongly support Campaign Sight First II.
During the 1980’s, the Windsor Locks Lions Club set a goal to become one of the largest Lions Clubs in the state. During the ensuing period, the club has grown from 75 to 160 members.
Windsor Locks Lions have always stepped forward and led the way with compassion in service to others.
Mauro, F. P., & Foote, R. (2007). A Brief History of Lionism in Connecticut 2007 Edition. Oakville: DaSum Company LLC. http://www.lionwap.org/cthistorylionism
Lions Clubs International is the world's largest service club organization with more than 1.4 million members in approximately 46,000 clubs in more than 200 countries and geographical areas around the world.