The West Bend Lioness Lions Club is affiliated with Lions Club International, the largest service organization in the world whose motto is "We Serve".
Lion's International was founded in Chicago, IL in 1917, by businessman Melvin Jones. Since its inception, it has been dedicated to helping those less fortunate in their communities and around the world. In 1925 Helen Keller challenged the members to be "knights of the blind".
The best known of Lion's Services is Sight Conservation and Work for the Blind. This includes worldwide eye banks supported by Lions and especially the WI Eye Bank in Madison. We transport eyes for corneal transplants and research through a network of volunteer Lions from all areas of the state. Used eyeglasses are collected, sorted, and shipped to 3rd world countries. Lions clubs support dog guides and assorted mobility devices, and personal equipment especially designed for the blind and provide Braille books. Other services are eye screen and hearing conservation and providing information on diabetes. Our club contributed to the Tsunami and Haiti funds through the Lion's Clubs International Foundation.
Our club was chartered as a Lioness Club on October 19, 1977 and rechartered as a Lioness Lions Club on May 23, 2004.
We are a group of people who recognize needs in our community, we raise money and give our time and energy to support those needs.
Lions Clubs International is the world's largest service club organization with more than 1.3 million members in approximately 45,000 clubs in more than 200 countries and geographical areas around the world.