On Thursday, October 9, 1947 a group of Cadott men met at the Cadott High School Auditorium for the purpose of organizing a local Lions Club.  The Cadott Band Mothers served the first dinner.

Election of officers was held with Herman Knitter elected president.  Other officers included Eugene "Buck" Henneman, vice president; A. T. Nabbefeld, 2nd vice president; Fred Kawell, secretary; George Johnson, treasurer; Fred Miller, Lion Tamer; and Karl Dietrich, Tail Twister.  The Board of Directors included Henry Boettcher, Tom Tobola, L. M. Cowley and Dr. D. E. Zenner.

At this meeting, arrangements for acceptance of the charter were set for November 18.  The Cadott Lions Club was the 119th organization to receive a charter in the state with the Cornell Club sponsoring them.

The group totaled 26 members.  Other charter members were:  A. C. Bjornstad, Henry Duxbury, Ray Gabert, Fred Goetz, Conrad Haas, Wayne Kennedy, Dr. H. P. Landry, Gordon Leiser, Lyle Mueller, Marvin Mueller, George Neary, John Pozarski, Dr. Robert Salter, Albert Tannler and Matt Turecek.

One hundred seventy five Lions and their ladies were present for the presentation of the charter.  Clubs represented were from Cornell, Augusta, Black River Falls, Fairchild, Stanley, Menomonie, Stevens Point and Baraboo.

The 6:30 meeting began with a 15 minute radio news broadcast over WEAU.  During the evening's events, a table bell and gavel were presented to Herman Knitter, President by the Cornell Lions Club President, Clarence Hoffman.

The new club immediately chose a project to benefit the community--getting Highway 27 paved from Augusta to Ladysmith.

On the local level, Riverview Park has been made into one of the most modern, functional and beautiful parks in the area through Cadott Lions Club personal involvement and group funding.  The first buildings to be constructed were vented cement floored bath houses.

In 1957, plans to build a rustic log and stone pavilion began with a "rock picking bee".  Horseshoe courts were added in 1958.  Tree planting was on ongoing beautification program.

Expansion of the park to include the athletic field was also a Lions Club project.  In June of 1954, the first game was played under lights.  Today seven buildings have been built by the Cadott Lions Club, the most recent opening in 2011.

The Cadott Lions also helped with building two structures for the Nabor Day Junior Fair.  A fountain was added in 1967.  The tennis courts were another of the projects which have added many hours of enjoyment for our community.

A major promotion of the Cadott Lions was begun in 1955.  The first sign was erected declaring the village "Half-Way Between the Equator and the North Pole".  In 1968, the refurbished sign located in the Park along the west side of Highway 27 was installed.

The Cadott Lions Club is proud to have had five of its members serve as District Governors.  They are Tom Tobola, Eugene King, Norman Panzenhagen, Ed Ludwig and A. Pat Mrotek.

The Cadott Lions Club continues to serve the community in many ways.  We welcome guests and fellow Lions to meetings which are held the second Wednesday of each month at 6:30 PM at St. John's Lutheran Church October through June; at the Cadott Lions Club Pavilion on the east side of Highway 27 July through September.

Source:  Cadott Centennial:  The Community Celebrates (1995)

Lions Clubs International News
Connect with Us Online